|FEATURES$type=ticker$count=12$cols=4$cate=0

Reacting to tasks just isn't working for me

I'd set up this interesting (I thought) way of partitioning my time during my sabbatical. But it slipped away from me and I've gone into a purely reacting mode of response to tasks.  And that's not working for me either. Lesson: no matter what I originally thought, my process design was no good.

Here's the tl;dr version of my approach to getting things done during my sabbatical: I came up with a list of 11 different major themes for my tasks; I would cycle through the entire list, one theme per day, spending at least 1 hour on that theme. The idea was that I'd eventually get a substantive amount done on all of the themes.

It didn't turn out that way. Stuff kept getting in the way - email, house chores, various other activities, figurative fires that needed to be put out, new tasks with short deadlines, and - perhaps worst of all - some things I just didn't feel like doing.

So I drifted back to The Old Ways, of letting my time be driven by whatever seemed most crucial to get done at any given time.  But that doesn't work for me either, because it turns into a litany of things I have to do, at the expense of things I want to do - until the things I want to do become things I have to do because I've let them drift for too long.

But the point was to balance the have-to-do's with the want-to-do's, because while the former are necessary (but not necessarily pleasant), the latter are pleasant (but not necessarily necessary).  It's really all about balance.

Also, I was irritated that The Old Ways prevented me from being able to predict what I might be doing in the future (even in the near future, like, tomorrow). Sometimes, we decide what we should do now based, in part, on what we expect to have to do tomorrow.  And I couldn't do that.

And my sabbatical is half-over and I've not done anywhere near as much as I would have thought.

So, time for a reset.

Since I still use my rolling tasks trick to suggest tasks (no matter what else, that continues to work well for me), I have a dynamic and self-organizing prioritized list of possible tasks to make sure I'm getting something done.  The question is to make sure that I'm setting aside enough time on a regular basis to get things done that really matter.

I still like the idea of have task themes: they give me some structure without requiring me to go through a list of hyper-specified tasks, structure with a bit of give to it.

So here's what I'm going to try.

There's 7 days in a week.  I'm going to develop only 7 themes and assign one to each day.  This will let me more easily predict my expected future tasks, yet maintain flexibility of choice. I'm going to make one theme a generic "Catch-up / relax" day to make sure there's enough slack for me to enjoy my sabbatical while still making sure there's enough time to get the absolute necessities done. The other 6 days and themes will be an amalgam of the 11 I had in the last version.

The amalgamation of the 11 themes is the tricky bit, because some themes (e.g., students, research) are just plain more important than others (e.g., blogging), and some themes (e.g., research) require far more attention and effort than others (e.g., home).

I'll post an update once I've got it sorted.

COMMENTS

Name

academia,15,academic,2,activism,1,adaptation,1,additive manufacturing,1,admin,14,aesthetics,7,affect,1,ageing,2,AI,18,analogy,2,android,1,animation,1,anthropology,3,anticipation,1,app,1,architecture,51,art,2,arts,73,Asia,3,assistive technology,2,authority,1,automobile,1,award,1,balance,28,biology,5,biomimetics,17,book,8,branding,4,building,3,built environment,4,business,7,CAD,5,Canada,29,care,1,case,11,cfp,689,change revision,1,children,2,cinema,1,Circa,3,circular design,1,circular economy,4,codesign,3,cognition,12,collaboration,4,colonization,1,commercialization,3,commonplacing,1,communication,3,communication design,12,competition,5,complexity,5,computation,24,computer science,1,computing,18,concept map,4,conference,354,constructivism,1,conversation,1,conversational analysis,1,covid-19,4,craft,11,creative arts,1,creativity,15,crime,1,CSCW,1,culture,35,cybernetics,2,data science,1,decision-making,1,decolonization,1,degrowth,1,dementia,4,design,111,design science,1,design thinking,12,digital,3,digital media,5,digital reproduction,1,digital scholarship,1,disability,3,dissertation,1,drawing,7,economics,23,education,71,effectiveness,14,efficiency,12,emotion,1,engineering,45,entertainment,1,entrepreneurship,6,environment,28,ergonomics,3,ethics,51,ethnography,2,Evernote,1,evolution,4,exhibition,3,exoskeleton,1,experience,5,experimental studies,3,fail,1,fashion,15,featured,10,film,1,food,5,function modeling,1,futurism,16,gender,1,gender studies,3,geography,2,Germany,2,globalization,3,grantsmanship,1,graphic design,32,Greece,1,HCI,53,health,29,heritage,2,history,33,HMI,1,Hobonichi,1,housing,2,human factors,3,humanism,56,humanities,2,identity,1,illustration,2,image,4,inclusivity,2,industrial design,6,informatics,4,information,9,innovation,19,interaction,26,interdisciplinarity,4,interior design,9,internet of things,3,intervention,1,iphone,16,jobs,1,journal,194,journalism,1,justice,2,landscape,6,language,5,law,2,library,1,life,105,life cycle,3,lifehack,10,literature,1,literature review,1,logistics,2,luxury,1,maintenance,1,making,5,management,12,manufacturing,9,material culture,7,materials,6,mechanics,1,media,17,method,46,migration,1,mobile,2,mobility,1,motion design,2,movie,3,multimedia,3,music,1,nature,3,new product development,5,Nexus 6,1,olfaction,1,online,2,open design,2,organization,1,packaging,2,paper,19,participatory design,16,PBL,1,pengate,1,performance,1,PhD,34,philosophy,46,planning,5,play,1,policy,9,politics,52,postdoc,1,practice,26,predatory,3,preservation,2,printing,1,prison,1,proceedings,1,product,1,product lifetime,1,product longevity,1,productivity,106,project management,1,prototyping,4,public space,6,publishing,3,reading,1,Remember The Milk,1,repair,1,reproduction,1,research,117,research through design,2,resilience,1,resource-limited design,1,reuse,1,review,74,robust design,1,Samsung,3,scale,1,scholarship,54,science,48,science fiction,5,semiotics,5,senses,1,service design,12,simplicity,5,society,136,sociology,11,software,61,somatics,1,space,5,STEM,1,strategic design,6,student,8,sustainability,68,sustainable consumption,1,sustainable design,1,sustainable production,1,systems,67,tactile,1,tangibility,1,technology,25,textile,7,theatre,3,theory,7,Toodledo,2,Toronto,3,tourism,2,traffic,1,transhumanism,1,transnationalism,1,transportation,3,tv,3,typography,1,uncertainty,1,universal design,4,upcycling,2,urban,30,usa,9,usability,1,user experience,8,virtual reality,1,visualization,24,waste management,1,wearable,3,well-being,17,women,1,workshop,74,writing,2,
ltr
item
The Trouble with Normal...: Reacting to tasks just isn't working for me
Reacting to tasks just isn't working for me
The Trouble with Normal...
https://filsalustri.blogspot.com/2015/01/reacting-to-tasks-just-isn-working-for.html
https://filsalustri.blogspot.com/
https://filsalustri.blogspot.com/
https://filsalustri.blogspot.com/2015/01/reacting-to-tasks-just-isn-working-for.html
true
389378225362699292
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy